Vomiting isn't the most pleasant or graceful experience, but it's an inevitable fact of life. We all have to do it at some point. However, this natural act can cause anxiety in a lot of people, especially in children. If your child doesn't want to go to school out of fear of getting sick and throwing up, or gets hysterical when she sees another person vomit or gag, you are not alone.
Puke panic, seasick scaries, dryheave dread—whatever you want to call it— vomitphobia是真实的。事实上，作为一种焦虑的专家，eMETophobia（对呕吐过度的恐惧）是我治疗最常见的儿童恐惧症。据研究，我对患者的经验反映了更大的趋势。
Sources suggest that vomiting phobia is a pretty significant issue. One study of 547 young adults found that vomiting was the sixteenth highest rated fear from a selection of 88, beating out fear of heights or spiders.1此外,研究我ndicate that this fear of throwing up is likely to start at a young age and persist well into adulthood.2,3例如，一项研究中的成年参与者报告说，他们的呕吐恐怖恐惧症开始的平均年龄只是九岁。与会者还报告说，平均而言，他们在调查时遭受了22年的呕吐恐怖恐惧症，每周从恐惧症患上90％超过90％，而在六年期间有超过70％的危害相关困扰。- 每周七天。4
The Phobia Formula
So how does a fear of vomiting develop into full-blown emetophobia? It really boils down to the "phobia formula," which involves two things: an out-of-proportion fear of a specific object or situation AND frantic efforts to avoid the said object or situation. Just as people who are terrified of dogs will avoid any situation where they might encounter one, my patients who deal with vomit phobia arrange their lives to avoid anything that they think might trigger vomiting or even simply remind them of it.5
避免的问题是它实际上是恐惧症更差. Individuals begin to think that their unnecessary precautions are what is preventing their fears from happening. In reality, running away from the problem creates a cycle, causing vomit phobia in children to continue into their adult lives.
How can you打破周期并阻止你孩子害怕呕吐控制他/她的生活？以下是我与客户分享的一些提示。
- Don't mirror their stress. Always stay calm and upbeat in the face of your child's escalating hysteria about the possibility of vomiting. Parents worry that if they don't mirror their child's emotional distress, their child will learn not to trust them. But, what if his distress concerns something safe, or even healthy, as vomiting most certainly is? Mirroring that distress sends a confusing message.
- Hide your own disgust or irritation.Vomiting feels and looks weird to children and they will look to adults to gauge how they should think and feel when they do throw-up. Please do not react with irritation or horror when your child vomits. Even if it is projectile. Even if your child doesn't make it to the toilet. Even if it happens in public.
- Avoid constant reassurance. Repeated requests for reassurance are a form of avoidance. Any version of the question"Will this make me throw up?"should be answered enthusiastically and honestly with:"I don't know!"Thereafter,"already asked, already answered"可以就你的回答就足够了。
- Don't let your child avoid based on fear.Refuse to let your children avoid safe things that they fear will make them vomit. Remember, avoidance behaviors are the means by which ordinary fears mushroom into full-blown phobias.
- 自己是一个休息的英雄。在每次呕吐时，他的成年人抱怨缠绕着恶心或吓坏了，给他们的孩子发出明确的信息，让Barfing很糟糕。它不呕吐是身体驱逐它不想要或需要的东西的方式。什么可能更健康？Viva la呕吐！
1Kartsounis, L., Mervyn-Smith, J., & Pickersgill, M. (1983). Factor analysis of the responses of British university students to the Fear Survey Schedule III (FSS-III).人格和个人差异，4，157-163。
2Van Hout, W., & Bouman, T. (2012). Clinical features, prevalence and psychiatric complaints in subjects with fear of vomiting.临床心理学和精神病学，19, 531-539.
3Veale, D., Murphy, P., Ellison, N., Kanakam, N., & Costa, Ana. (2013). Autobiographical memories of vomiting in people with a specific phobia of vomiting (emetophobia).行业疗法和实验性精神病学杂志，44, 14-20.
4Lipsitz，J.，Fyer，A.，Paterniti，A.，＆Klein，D。（2001）。emeTophobia：互联网研究的初步结果。Depression and Anxiety, 14, 149-152.
5Boschen, M. (2007). Reconceptualizing emetophobia: A cognitive-behavioral formulation and research agenda.焦虑障碍杂志，21188体育平台app，407-419。
Date of original publication:February 25, 2015
Updated: August 26, 2016